Monday, June 10, 2013

In The Classroom

Before I came to Thailand I somehow had gotten the impression that I would be teaching one class of fifty students per day.  After I arrived I realized that number had grown to four classes of fifty bringing my total student jurisdiction to a whopping 750!  As this is a public school, not much difference from your average jungle around the world; they are boisterous, unruly and adorable.  Most speak barely an ounce of English but yell out "Good morning Teacher!" with such regularity that I am beginning to understand that, here in Rayong, that is somehow what I have become.  

In Thailand we use a microphone to be heard above the din.  Well, to be fair, some classes are better than others.  In one class the students couldn't seem to stay in their chairs and spent some of their time lying on the floor.  I find, more and more, however that if I am able to keep them occupied by singing "Head and shoulders, knees and toes" for example, they  can be pretty attentive.  It's harder when the microphones don't work and you have to yell or when you can't find chalk or the microphone chord doesn't reach. Those classes can wear a newbie like myself down. I'm just grateful I don't understand the jokes they are almost certainly making about the Farang teacher as I walk the halls. 

No tattoos  and no pants allowed for females.  One of the first days I tried on fifteen or so dresses with an audience explaining "Suey!" or beautiful.  Nice but I also felt like a spectacle.  You can't get around it if you're a visible minority.  I am only one of two white teachers at the school and I don't see too many others buying their chicken feet or squid at the local market either. A vindicating example of my otherness was the nickname a teacher, whose nickname is Apple, bestowed on me the other day.  I am Pai Keow meaning rice leaf, because of my white skin.  I like it. 

I was given a textbook for two out of the three grades I have to teach.  Teaching materials are a godsend when you have seven hundred and fifty pairs of eyes looking at you every week.  The third grade is textbookless but I have been given a subject to teach them.  The subject is alarmingly vague.  I am told I should be teaching "Sufficiency Economy."  This is the brainchild of the Thai King (remember no criticism allowed).  I have been told to "Try" by the English teacher who sent me those original e-mails.  The ones that like a chess game, put me here. 

I am trying, I am. 




2 comments:

  1. Do you have any kind of curriculum or do you have to write your own lesson plans every day?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to write my own lesson plans, a big challenge for a new teacher. Good experience though. :)

    ReplyDelete